Friday, August 24, 2012

Promoting Children’s Resilience: What you need to know!

New addition to the blog list!

via Colby Pearce: 

Promoting Children’s Resilience: What you need to know!
Posted on August 22, 2012


On a sunny autumn day David, who was four years of age, travelled with his parents to a local park for a picnic. Upon their arrival, David and his parents observed a scene replete with the recreational delights of lush grass, shady trees, warm open spaces and . . . . . an adventure playground. What happened next provides an insight into how David is likely to cope with adversity, and recover from it, throughout his life. In short, what happened next provides an insight into David’s resilience.

Adversity is a feature of the life of every child. It is present when a child is learning a new skill, on their first day of school, when they are negotiating conflicts and when their ambition exceeds their ability. Some children demonstrate persistence in the face of adverse conditions, whereas others shy away from adversity. Those who persist in their endeavours learn that adversity can be tolerated. Those who tolerate adversity and those who succeed in their endeavours under adverse conditions experience mastery. Mastery experiences are critical in the development of a perception of personal competence and capacity to influence personal outcomes. Mastery experiences under adverse conditions prove the famous words of the nineteenth century philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche: “that which does not kill me makes me stronger”.

Psychological strength, or resilience, is that quality of the child that enables them to persist in the face of adversity and recover from frustration and failure. Resilience strengthens a child and enables them to try new experiences and accept challenges. Resilience sustains a child through hardship and supports the realisation of dreams and aspirations. Resilience is critical to a child’s development and to them leading a productive, successful and satisfying life.

The promotion of resilience is a universal concern of adults with a caring concern for children. However, just as universal is the concern for shielding children from physical and emotional distress that can arise in conditions of adversity. These seemingly competing concerns can be a source of confusion and heartache for those who have the best interests of children at heart and have the potential to cloud their vision of what is in a child’s best interests. In this article I will explain how loving, nurturing and protecting children actually enhances their resilience.

My experience in working with children who have experienced overwhelming adversity in their life, together with my reading of what researchers and other professionals have to say on the matter, has led me to the conclusion that there are three key variables that impact directly on a child’s resilience; arousal, attachment and needs provision. here

From Colby Pearce's About Me page:
Hi. I am a Clinical Psychologist living and working in Adelaide, South Australia. I am married to Rebecca and we are the proud parents of three boys. I love being a parent to my boys and husband to Rebecca. Outside of work, I am a keen gardener, general handyman and avid follower of Formula One! I also enjoy reading, lifestyle documentaries and listening to music.

Rebecca and I work together in our child and family psychology practice, Secure Start®. We enjoy working together and make a good team. Rebecca runs the practice; I am the senior clinician.

I had to overcome a lot of adversity to achieve my qualifications as a Clinical Psychologist. I have referred to some of this in my book A Short Introduction to Promoting Resilience in Children. The adversity I experienced in gaining my qualifications has helped me to value being part of the profession. In turn, this has helped me through the tough times practising as a Clinical Psychologist.

I have taken a lot of knocks but have also had many experiences as a Clinical Psychologist that have been the source of pride and fulfillment. I feel particularly fulfilled about helping children overcome adversity and experience happiness in their life. I am also fulfilled at having played a part in assisting many parents and caregivers achieve a better life for themselves and children in their care. I am thankful for the opportunities I have had to pass on my knowledge and wisdom to other Psychologists through teaching, training and publications. I look forward to an ongoing process of lifelong learning and sharing what I have learned with others.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...